Thursday, January 24, 2008

Susan Virginia "Jennie V." Cummings Zane

And.... that's a really long name.

I have to say, the guy in Wyoming (whose name is Carl, not Steve) will have a nice soft bed in Heaven if he treats all of his patrons as well as he treated me. Color me IMPRESSED.

Today I received Jennie's death certificate from his office, exactly seven days after I called him, and the best part was, Carl also threw in a copy of her obituary from the Sundance newspaper. Color me THRILLED.

And, even after writing about it, I completely forgot that I ordered it, and was very happily surprised when my husband came in with the mail last Thursday. Color me AIRHEADED.

At any rate, Carl at the Wyoming State Archives Office (307-777-7826) is a sweet, sweet man and I would send him flowers and chocolates if he wouldn't think I was stalking him, or something. Color me GRATEFUL.

As for the death certificate itself, it was very well-filled in, including her parents' names and birthplaces, birth date and place, husband's name, cause of death (cerebral apoplexy - stroke)... and her obituary went like this:

Mrs. Jennie Zane Passed Away Here On April 4th
Had Been Resident of Community For Thirty Years

Mrs. Jennie V. Zane, for more than thirty years a resident of this community, passed away at her home in this city on Thursday, April 4th, following an illness which extended over a long period of time. Funeral services were conducted on Sunday, Rev. Calvin officiating and interment was made in the local cemetery.

Jennie V. Cummings was born in Loudan County, Virginia January 17, 1849 and died April 4, 1929 at the age of 80 years 2 months and 17 days.

She was married to Thomas W. Zane at Lawton, Michigan January 27, 1867, her husband died 25 years ago.

From this union two children were born, Jesse T. Zane, who preceded her in death several years ago; and Mrs. W.R. Fox of Gillette, Wyoming.

She came to Wyoming in 1890 and has been a continuous resident of Crook county up to the time of her death.

No comments:

Post a Comment