Tuesday, July 08, 2008

It Never Rains, But It Pours.

For months we sat there at the FHC, working on our own family history because no patrons came in or needed anything. Tonight, the reprieve was over. Here's what I kept busy doing at the FHC tonight:

1) Helped a fellow staff member do a name on TempleReady

2) Helped a lady named Betty order microfiche (something I've done once in three years), learn how to download PAF to her home computer, and learn how to use it

3) While I was on the phone with the FHC director, making sure I did the microfiche order right, she asked me to make a sign for the door of the FHC saying that our day shift is closed tomorrow

4) Answered a phone call from a lady in my ward who said that the lady who was supposed to meet Otto at our place, showed up somewhere else and was all upset

Then I messed around with more new FamilySearch and match/merged more of my PAF people. I can't believe I forged together two files with over 15,000 people in them but yes, I was stupid.

We also discussed paranoid funeral home directors vs. awesome ones who can't help you enough. At one funeral home, my fellow staff members were accused of everything but digging up the body while trying to get funeral records for one of his relatives. The funeral home guy was convinced that "all they wanted was [the dead guy's] Social Security number."

This is just my opinion, but if you're going to be an identity thief, showing up at a funeral home and claiming to be a genealogist seems like a really hard, jump-through-hoopy, roundabout, stupid way to do it.

The night ended with a run to Wendy's.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, yeah yeah, you family history people are all the same, complain complain complain...

    :D

    Weird funeral home person...you would think they would be used to genealogists.

    Wendy's sounds good to me too tonight.

    PS: WV is "flogy" seems like it describes your evening.

    PS: why is "Genealogy" spelled with an "a" instead of an "o"? Does anyone pronounce it "Jen-e-a-logy" I thought not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love genealogy. I'm thoroughly addicted to digging through the past and finding journals, bibles, records, histories (both personal and area), etc. My genealogy program is packed not only with vital statistics, but pictures, bios, obits. I've clearly gone nuts.

    Just wanted you to know that I've linked you to one of my new blogs Mormon Bloggers Speak Out.

    The purpose of this blog is to share with the world what Mormons are like in our many facets. What we believe, what we do, how we play, what we do for fun, our thoughts on family, Church, Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, life, standing for truth and righteousness, missionary work, doctrine, our countries, etc. Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete