Saturday, September 03, 2011

Dear Walla Walla Union-Bulletin,

You suck.

My aunt Genevieve died in July of this year. Unfortunately I didn't think to look up her obituary online (I don't want to bug my mother for a copy, if she even has one) until today.

I looked it up today. Since she died in July and not sometime this week, you want me to pay to subscribe to your dumb newspaper - either online or in real life or both - to view all of her obituary, instead of just the stuff I already knew about her.

I don't live in Walla Walla. I did live in Walla Walla for about three months twenty years ago, and got out of there as soon as I could find my way out. I have no desire to ever live there again (not that it isn't lovely).

I don't want to subscribe to your newspaper, since all I'd be doing it for is to check the obituary section when my other two aunts die. Which is kind of a morbid reason to subscribe to anything.

That, and I'm not interested in Walla Walla news. Sorry.

I just want to look at my aunt's obituary. I don't want to pay to do it.

It would take less than five minutes for me to read it, and probably copy and paste it to my genealogy computer program. That's not worth a subscription.

It would be more cost-efficient to drive to Walla Walla and visit either your public library and view their archives (provided they don't also suck) or your local hoarder population, risking my life and health as I rifle through their dysfunction to locate the newspaper copy in question.

So, you suck.

Thanks for hearing me.

It is my sincere hope that you will suck considerably less in the future -

Millie

2 comments:

  1. Millie,

    I put your question to the Genealogy crew on G+. Drew Smith found a solution to your problem. Here's how he found the full obituary:

    "Just search for the first line of the obituary in Google, and then click the "Cached" link. The entire obituary is there."

    And here is the obituary:

    Published on Thursday, July 21, 2011

    Genevieve Rockey
    Genevieve Rockey
    July 24, 1916 - July 18, 2011

    M. Genevieve Rockey passed away at her home on July 18, 2011. She was born and raised in Walla Walla, a member of the Carl Dysart family.

    After graduating from Walla Walla High School, she attended business college in Walla Walla. She was employed by Braden Tractor Co. for several years. In 1939 she married Leo Rockey. He was employed by Continental Can Co. as a machinist for many years. Later they lived in Vancouver until he retired, then moved back to Walla Walla. Leo passed away in 1994. They had a good life together.

    They both enjoyed music. She played the organ and he played banjo. They joined a group who got together once a week to enjoy playing music.

    Genevieve belonged to the Emblem Club. She was a very good seamstress and sewed a lot. She also enjoyed her flower gardens.

    She is survived by two sisters, Miriam Fellows and Lourene Daggett, both of Walla Walla; several nieces and nephews, out of town. She is preceded in death by her parents; one sister; and two brothers.

    Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 23, 2011, at the College Place Presbyterian Church.

    Those who wish may make a memorial contribution to Walla Walla Community Hospice through the Herring Groseclose Funeral Home, 315 W. Alder, Walla Walla, WA 99362.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, and thank you for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete